ACIPHEX helps treat heartburn and other symptoms of acid reflux disease, like a bad taste in your throat and belching. One small ACIPHEX tablet a day works all day and all night.
ACIPHEX is a proton pump inhibitor. This type of drug works by reducing the acid produced by your stomach, so you'll have:
- Less acid in the stomach
- Less acid to irritate the esophagus
- Less heartburn
One ACIPHEX 20 mg tablet daily is used for the treatment of persistent, frequent (2 or more days a week) heartburn and other symptoms associated with acid reflux disease in adults and adolescents 12 years of age and above.
If your doctor says that you have acid reflux disease, ask if prescription ACIPHEX is right for you.
What are the possible side effects of ACIPHEX?
ACIPHEX, like other proton pump inhibitors, may cause serious allergic reactions. See the Full Product Information for a list of ingredients in ACIPHEX.
- Serious allergic reactions. Tell your doctor if you have any of the following symptoms with ACIPHEX:
- Face swelling
- Throat tightness
- Difficulty breathing
Your doctor may stop your ACIPHEX treatment if these symptoms happen.
- Low magnesium levels in your body. This problem can be serious. Low magnesium can happen in some people who take a proton pump inhibitor medicine for at least 3 months. If low magnesium levels happen, it is usually after a year of treatment. You may or may not have symptoms of low magnesium. Tell your doctor right away if you have any of these symptoms:
- Abnormal or fast heartbeat
- Jerking movements or shaking (tremors)
- Muscle weakness
- Spasms of the hands and feet
- Cramps or muscle aches
- Spasm of the voice box
Your doctor may check the level of magnesium in your body before you start taking ACIPHEX, during treatment, or if you will be taking ACIPHEX for a long period of time.
The most common side effects with ACIPHEX may include:
- Sore throat
Proton Pump Inhibitor (PPI) medicines may increase your risk of getting severe diarrhea. This diarrhea may be caused by an infection (Clostridium difficile) in your intestines. If you have watery stool, stomach pain, and fever that does not go away, call your doctor immediately.
People who are taking multiple daily doses of PPI medicines for a long period of time may have an increased risk of fractures of the hip, wrist, or spine.
Tell your doctor if you have any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away. These are not all the side effects of ACIPHEX. For more information, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Call your healthcare provider for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.