ACIPHEX helps treat heartburn and other symptoms of acid reflux disease, like a bad taste in your throat and belching. One small ACIPHEX tablet a day works all day and all night.
ACIPHEX is a proton pump inhibitor. This type of drug works by reducing the acid produced by your stomach, so you'll have:
- Less acid in the stomach
- Less acid to irritate the esophagus
- Less heartburn
One ACIPHEX 20 mg tablet daily is used for the treatment of persistent, frequent (2 or more days a week) heartburn and other symptoms associated with acid reflux disease in adults and adolescents 12 years of age and above.
ACIPHEX is used in children 1 to 11 years of age to treat GERD for up to 12 weeks. ACIPHEX is not effective in treating symptoms of GERD in children 1 month to 11 months of age. ACIPHEX should not be used to treat GERD in babies younger than 1 month of age.
If your doctor says that you have acid reflux disease, ask if prescription ACIPHEX is right for you.
- Take ACIPHEX exactly as prescribed. Your doctor will prescribe the dose that is right for you and your medical condition. Do not change your dose or stop taking ACIPHEX unless you talk to your doctor. Take ACIPHEX for as long as it is prescribed even if you feel better.
- ACIPHEX is usually taken one time each day. Your doctor will tell you the time of day to take ACIPHEX, based on your medical condition.
- ACIPHEX Tablets can be taken with or without food. Your doctor will tell you whether to take this medicine with or without food based on your medical condition.
- Swallow each ACIPHEX Tablet whole with water. Do not chew, crush, or split ACIPHEX Tablets. Tell your doctor if you cannot swallow tablets whole.
Take a dose of ACIPHEX Sprinkle Delayed-Release Capsules as follows:
- Take the dose 30 minutes before a meal.
- Open the capsule and sprinkle the contents onto a small amount of soft food such as apple sauce, fruit or vegetable based baby food, or yogurt. You may also empty the capsule contents into a small amount of infant formula, apple juice, or a pediatric electrolyte solution such as PedialyteR. The food or liquid that you use should be at or below room temperature.
- Swallow the entire mixture. Do not chew or crush the granules.
- Take the entire dose within 15 minutes. If you cannot take the dose within 15 minutes of preparing it, throw it away and prepare a new dose. Do not save it for use later.
- If you miss a dose of ACIPHEX, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal schedule. Do not take 2 doses at the same time.
- If you take too much ACIPHEX, call your doctor or Poison Control Center right away, or go to the nearest hospital emergency room.
What are the possible side effects of ACIPHEX?
ACIPHEX can cause serious side effects including:
- See “What is the most important information I should know about ACIPHEX?”
- Low magnesium levels in your body. This problem can be serious. Low magnesium can happen in some people who take a Proton Pump inhibitor (PPI) medicine for at least 3 months. If low magnesium levels happen, it is usually after a year of treatment. You may or may not have symptoms of low magnesium.
Tell your doctor right away if you have any of these symptoms:
- Abnormal or fast heart beat
- Jerking movements or shaking (tremors)
- Muscle weakness
- Spasms of the hands and feet
- Cramps or muscle aches
- Spasm of the voice box
Your doctor may check the level of magnesium in your body before you start taking ACIPHEX, during treatment, or if you will be taking ACIPHEX for a long period of time.
The most common side effects with ACIPHEX include:
- Sore throat
The most common side effects with ACIPHEX in children include:
- Stomach-area (abdomen) pain
Other side effects:
Serious allergic reactions. Tell your doctor if you get any of the following symptoms with ACIPHEX:
- Face swelling
- Throat tightness
- Difficulty breathing
Your doctor may stop ACIPHEX if these symptoms happen.
Tell your doctor if you have any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away. These are not all the side effects of ACIPHEX. For more information, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.